What is AC coupled system ?
AC coupled systems use a Solar Only inverter coupled to Hybrid inverter(s) and batteries.
Although simple to setup we consider it a Wast of an Inverter, and AC coupled Systems are less efficient at charging than a DC coupled systems, that are commonly 97% efficient.
AC systems are said to be very efficient for powering AC loads during the day and are able to be expanded with multiple solar inverters to form a Single phase or Three phase independent micro-power-grids.
However, why would you use a Cave-man Solar inverter, as a single or 3 Hybrid inverter will to a Better job, and Cost Less as you are eliminating the need for a Solar only inverter, and that will provide a Quicker Return-on-Investment (ROI) for all Off-grid or On-Grid systems.
We recommended all batteries be connected to one set of Bus-Bars, as that allows for Equal Charge & Discharge, as the Batteries Management System (BMS) automatically controls the Battery Charging.
Single Phase AC Coupled Inverter Wiring.
Three Phase AC Coupled Inverter Wiring.
(Click above images to see Larger images)
- Slightly higher efficiency when used to power AC appliances during the day, such as air-conditioning, pool pumps, and power tools etc.
- Most solar inverters have dual MPPT inputs, so multiple solar arrays can be installed at different orientations and Tilt angles.
- Lower conversion efficiency when charging battery system from AC power.
- AC Inverter are unnecessary, as a Single or 3 Hybrid Inverters provide 3phase power.
- Generally Higher Installation & Wiring costs as additional Battery inverters needed.
- Lower Electrical efficiency when switching Charging between AC & DC during the day.